Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ped the Islanders 2-1 outdoors at Yankee Stadium on
It usually involves that kid who was in a wheelchair on Degrassi or some hashtag I dont understand or something to do with Disney Jr. Authentic Joshua Garnett Jersey . But the word "beard" drew me in, and on upon further investigation I discovered that "peak beard" was about contemporary popular cultures threshold for beard wearing, and the notion that the age of the beard may be over. This seemed sacrilegious to me, because here in late April we sit on the precipice of the climax of beard season: winter is slowly receding and the NHL playoffs bring with them the greatest sports tradition of all-time, the playoff beard. Peak beard in April? Pfft. Thats like writing of December that weve hit "peak Santa", or of AC/DC weve hit "peak guitar", or of a wedding weve hit "peak open bar". As we settle into the first round of the playoffs, beards among NHLers are about to take form. We are awash in the infancy of stubble. In two months whichever teams are left battling will look like theyre en route to Bonnaroo post-pucks. It should be noted that Ive worn a beard since puberty allowed it, and a razor has insulted my cheeks just once in the past twenty years. I revel in playoff beards. They make me feel at home. I wear a playoff beard in August. And as we got through the first weekend of the playoffs a few days ago, which was also Easter, Id be remiss if I didnt mention the best playoff beard ever: Jesus. Dude rocked his beard into the post-post season, and according to scripture will still be rocking the playoff beard when he comes back. The story of the playoff beard is well known: It started some thirty years ago during the New York Islanders dynasty of the 80s. (For our younger readers the Islanders were once a good hockey team, before fishermen logos, Charles Wang, and Alexei Yashin.) No one is quite sure of its specific genesis, however. Some attribute it to two Swedish Islanders who were trying to emulate tennis star Björn Borgs custom of not shaving during Wimbledon. Some say that Islanders defenceman Ken Morrows beard led the charge. Whatever the story, the playoff beard has come to symbolize team unity, a badge of honour, and the fact that youve made a deep enough run to sport a thick brush from which you can hang livestock. In my years as a hockey fan, a few playoff beards standout. Scott Niedermayers greying old man beard, Mike Commodores ginger madness, and Lanny McDonalds wild west stache accompaniment immediately come to mind. In recent years, rules concerning the playoff beard seem to have turned lax. Shaving after a loss in effort to change a teams luck is seemingly allowed. Goatees, the beards answer to the haiku, are tolerated. Professional trimming is apparent (Im looking at you, Sedin twins.) Back in the day, when men were men and the Oilers made the playoffs, the rules for the playoff beard were simple: 1. Stop shaving.2. Win Stanley Cup or get eliminated.3. Start shaving again. In todays NHL, a new challenge faces beard-growing players. In the salary cap era, inexpensive young talent on entry-level contracts are important to the balance of a competitive team. Eighteen, nineteen, and twenty year-olds are key parts of many playoff teams lineups. Early in the first round, all players beards are equal. Its like a grade 8 dance. But come rounds two and three, how will Nathan MacKinnon, Olli Maatta, and Ryan Murray look should their teams be fortunate enough to make it that deep? Of course, a teams playoff longevity doesnt necessarily guarantee a healthy bearded player. When Tomas Kaberle won a Cup with Boston in 2011, the former Leafs defencemen still looked like a pre-pubescent child despite two months without shaving. Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews has won two Cups without any discernible upper lip growth, and Sidney Crosby still owns his "Sid the Kid" moniker with his patchy-coat-of an-electrocuted-dog fuzz. We cant all be Duck Dynasty-esque, but at 26 Crosbys beard is just plain sad. I have a better beard in my junior prom photos. Hell, my prom date has a better beard. And then theres the beards well never know. Can Dion Phaneuf even grow a beard? Can Phil Kessel? Can the Edmonton Oilers? We know they can schedule vacations for early April, play in the World Championships, and pick in the early first round of the draft, but theyll need to see past round one of the playoffs before we can judge their facial hair prowess. Sadly, methinks well never know. For now, I will rebel against notions peak beard, despite what Cosmo and The Daily Guardian are writing. The grand tradition of the playoff beard is just one of the many facets of the fight for the Stanley Cup that makes the NHLs postseason more compelling, more rich in narrative, and more entertaining than any other sport. So buy razor futures now, because the blades are sheathed for another two months, and may the best beard host the parade. 49ers Jerseys China Cheap . Rico dove horizontally to meet Andoni Iraolas precise long cross from the right to score his second league goal of the season in the 33rd minute. Two minutes later, Aritz Aduriz netted Bilbaos second when he raced forward and pounced on a poor clearance by Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio, sending a low shot rolling past goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo. Authentic Steve Young Jersey . The Rangers announced after Thursdays 4-2 loss to the New York Yankees that they would purchase Williams contract from Triple-A Round Rock. The 32-year-old Williams was released by Houston earlier this month after going 1-4 with a 6. http://www.cheap49ersjerseysauthentic.co...ead-jersey . The club announced Friday that Mauro Biello will be kept on as an assistant to coach Jesse Marsch when the Impact join the MLS in 2012.NEW YORK -- Derick Brassard scored the go-ahead goal with 7:46 left in the third period and the New York Rangers used late offence to beat the New York Islanders for the second straight game, 4-1 on Friday night. With the teams skating 4-on-4 and the Rangers taking advantage of a delayed penalty, Brassard took a cross-zone feed from defenceman Marc Staal and fired a shot past Evgeni Nabokov to give his team a 2-1 lead. Brad Richards provided insurance with 5:01 remaining, ripping a drive in off Nabokov, and Ryan McDonagh added an empty-net goal with 1 second left. Staal had two assists and Henrik Lundqvist made 38 saves for the Rangers, who have won three straight and six of eight. Brian Boyle gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead in the first period before Kyle Okposo tied it in the second. The Rangers topped the Islanders 2-1 outdoors at Yankee Stadium on Daniel Carcillos third-period goal Wednesday night and won the season series 3-2. The teams met for the third time in 11 days. Nabokov made 33 saves for the sliding Islanders, who dropped their fifth straight (0-4-1) after winning seven of nine. They controlled play in the second period, holding an 18-6 edge in shots, and got even on Okposos 24th goal. During a power play, the Islanders spent much of the advantage in the Rangers zone and tied it 5 seconds after McDonagh left the penalty box. Calvin de Haan fired a shot from inside the blue line at the right point that Lundqvist knockeed away. Authentic Joe Montana Jersey. But the puck came to Okposo near the left post. He settled it down and sent a shot in to make it 1-all with 5:32 left in the second. Okposo got right back on the score sheet after being blanked at Yankee Stadium. He has scored a goal in five of seven games and has six assists in that span. The Rangers held a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period after outshooting the Islanders 14-12. They recorded the first six shots, but later trailed 11-9 before going back on top. Boyle scored his fourth of the season and 50th in the NHL when he deflected Staals shot from the centre of the blue line off the crossbar and past Nabokov at 3:29. It was Boyles first goal in 12 games but his third point in three games after he posted an assist in each of the two Yankee Stadium contests. After weathering the early Rangers onslaught, the Islanders generated plenty of pressure and drew the only power play of the period when Brassard held de Haan in the offensive zone. The Islanders had four shots on the advantage. Lundqvists best stop of the period came when he slid across the crease to get his right pad on a one-timer by Josh Bailey in tight. Lundqvist later used his left pad to block Okposos hard drive from the slot. NOTES: The Rangers honoured longtime television voice Sam Rosen before the game for 30 years with the team. ... Boyle has 95 points in 365 NHL games. ... Nabokov made his second straight start after returning from injury in a relief role on Monday. ' ' '